Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Ann Arbor 'chicken ordinance' gets the go ahead to advance

Over the objections of two members, the Ann Arbor City Council voted to hold public hearings on the possibility of keeping up to four hens, with proper fencing and shelter for the chickens and tacit approval from nearby neighbors.

We find this interesting, amusing, but in a way, we can also see that the next door neighbor who may not want to live near chickens, could be cast as the 'heavy' in all this (As Mayor John Hieftje who we dog on a lot brought to light, very correctly). "Everything was fine until my jackass neighbor said no". So we'll keep watching, and listening to those on both sides and see where this goes.

We DO wonder the press this might get in mmmm, say the Columbus Post-Dispatch as Ann Arbor becomes "Chicken Town"...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same thing is going on in Chicago. Right now it's legal to own chickens in the city but there is a movement afoot to ban it. Opponents say the chickens attract rats. Gotta say, I wouldn't to live next door to rats. I think chickens are best left to farms and hot barbecues and Johnny's jerk sauce. Mmmmm.

Johnny Action Space Punk said...

Hmmm, hadn't even thought about rats. Yes, chickens are best kept on my grill!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I have to agree with you - I don't want to live next to chickens either.

But unfortunately I do... I'm the next door neighbor to Pete Thomason - rebel chicken/goat farmer of Ypsi.

My house is also a four unit rental property from back in the bomber days. And I have to contend with finding a tenant in this situation with over 40 chickens, 6 goats and untold rabbits on Pete's 1/10 of an acre.

I'm all about raising your own food, eating healthy ect. But do it where it's allowed - and your neighbors aren't subject to farm animals...