Friday, May 2, 2008

Dateline Chelsea: When plastic bags are outlawed, only outlaws will have plastic bags

Well the enviro crowd is pushing a plan in Chelsea to ban plastic bags. Chelsea City Council Member Frank Hammer wants to consider an outright ban on plastic bags in the village. This means no more stores like Krogers or Polly's giving out any plastic, regardless what it's for, frozen foods included. Council Member Cheri Albertson is on board for looking into the ban as is Chelsea Mayor Ann Feeney.

Seems to be, a while back all the grocery stores dumped paper bags in favor of the cheaper plastic bags. So which is it?

Look if you wanna go all green and not use plastic bags, do so. If you wanna drive a hybrid, do so. If you wanna volunteer time to the local recycling programs, do so. Just stop involving the rest of us in YOUR causes. If say 70% of the shoppers at Store X stopped using plastic bags, the store would then in turn order less plastic bags. There is gonna be a terrific backlash against all things green if more MANDATORY laws and or programs like these persist.

Green is good, but it shouldn't be used as a blunt instrument.

Flame away

4 comments:

glimmertwinfan said...

Good for them! I think the entire country should do away with them.

And while you are on the topic, when will there be a deposit on non-carbonated beverage containers, too?

We live is such a beautiful state, and to see bags blowing around, and water and drink bottles littering the roadways is horrid. That or start employing prison chain-gangs to clean it up - regularly.

I'm no green freak, but it's obvious that these issues don't clear up themselves without some persuasion.

If this law passes, I may start looking for real estate in Chelsea.

Johnny Action Space Punk said...

I tell ya, if it gets to the point where I have to show up with some stupid cloth bag for haul my groceries around it, I'll order them all from Peapod.com, local merchants be DAMNED.

I WANT plastic around my meat and frozen food. They leak through paper and leak in cloth as well is my guess.

There is nothing wrong with living a life the way you wanna (not simply you GTF, in general I mean), but that goes for me too

glimmertwinfan said...

Don't certain stores make you provide your own bags now, like Sams Club? I don't go there, but I thought shoppers were on their own.

Johnny Action Space Punk said...

Some may, I'm not sure about where around here may do that. I know some places offer a few cents worth of savings for reusing bags.