Friday, December 21, 2007

Friday night Multimedia Extravaganza

Johnny has LOVED the band Heart since he was a wee shaver. He's seen them many times. Here is the seminal Heart lineup of Ann Wilson on vocals, Nancy Wilson on guitar (with the brilliant intro to Crazy on You called Dreamboat Annie), Roger Fisher on guitar, Howard Leese on keyboards and Steve Fossen on bass.

This show is from 1976. Nancy Wilson would have been 22 years old. Johnny doesn't know what you were doing at 22 but he sure wasn't in a rock band.

A word to the wise, if you really wanna piss off the management here, go on and on about Ann Wilson's weight. Who cares?


By the way, see if you can't spot Nancy Wilson in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

2 comments:

Stella Magdalen said...

As a "fat girl" singer/musician I care. I really liked Heart. Ann got treated woefully for years. I would not be surprised if it wasn't a fairly significant factor in the course of their career trajectory. I absolutely know it has affected mine.
It is a huge, huge, issue, especially in R 'n' R. There's slightly more leeway in blues, jazz and hip hop because those genres are not solely controlled by white men. But it even significantly affects the classical scene!

A recent article I read says it's even far worse now after decades of "video" influence.
As if the industry didn't already suck enough, the article basically said "it will NEVER happen for you if you are fat." If I was 20 years younger I would have taken that as a personal challenge, now I'm pretty exhausted by the constant barrage of vibes as well as outright rudetry.

Johnny Action Space Punk said...

Wow, how eloquently put stella magdalene. I watch some VH1 specials with Heart on it and yeah, Ann's bigger than she was in 1977, woooo. I mean her VOICE still sounds immaculate. It's her voice you go to hear in concert.

Oh lord, videos, one of THE worst things to ever happen to music.

Thank you for your comment, it was right on!