Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And so we go through it again

YCD is very proud of the Washtenaw County community today as nobody is turning the mistrial into a racial event or screaming jury nullification based on the one juror who spoke with the media about her feelings. I think it bodes well here in our little corner of the world that we can respect a jury's work and not come apart when they cannot reach a verdict, unlike other places. We'll all go through this again and will see where the case ends up together.

2 comments:

Dusty D said...

Thank you for the great coverage of the trial thus far. I have a rather dumb question: does this mean they must go through the entire trial once again? That must be just agonizing for the family. Did not the defendant refuse even to make a statement defending himself, thus implying his admission of guilt? Thanks again for keeping us informed.

Johnny Action Space Punk said...

Ypsidixit--He did NOT take the stand and I do not know if he can in the next trial, I simply do not know. I know there are some rules about introducing new evidence at a retrial but I have no good idea exactly how that works.

Yes, it is extremely sad for Laura Dickinson and Orange Taylor's families but justice must be decided here.

Yep, full on new trial with the entire list of evidence on display for the new jurors. I'd advise against the defense thinking they've somehow won, it was 10-2 for conviction, chances are the next jury starts out at at LEAST that number. I also don't see him acquitted with votes like that.